The smaller the size, the better the condition the clothing must be. We are VERY PICKY with infant clothing, but we are much more forgiving with toddler and preschool aged clothing, boy’s clothes especially.
If the item is super cute or a sought-after brand, we will accept some MINOR stains and sell it “AS IS” at a lower price. For example, we will probably pass on a Target-brand cotton dress with stains on the sleeves, but we will accept a Hanna Andersson or Tea Collection cotton dress with the same stains. The same goes with baby equipment. We will accept imperfections at Ava’s Attic's discretion; however imperfections will be indicated and priced as such.
We accept some seasonal clothing year round! Lightweight jackets, long-sleeve t-shirts, tights, and jammies to name a few. We also accept certain Halloween costumes or dress-up wear year round. Some customers are year-round shop ahead customers, so we will take those nice Sea Wees sandals in the winter☺.
TOP SELLERS FOR CHILDREN’S CLOTHING
If your clothing meets these criteria you can expect great sales!
- Popular Sizes – 12 months through 5/6 years
- Excellent condition – free of stains, not too worn or stretched out
- Current styles – purchased new within the last 2 to 3 years
- Popular Brands – here is a partial list of our best-selling, most sought after brands:
Adidas, Appaman, Billabong, Biscotti, Carter’s, Charlie Rocket, Cherokee, Children’s Place, Circo, City Threads, Crazy 8, Crewcuts, Dogwood, Ella Moss, Flaphappy, Gap, Gymboree, Halo, H&M, Hanna Andersson, Hurley, Iplay, Joah Love, Justice, Land’s End, Levis, LL Bean, Nike, Old Navy, O’Neill, Oshkosh B’Gosh, Janie & Jack, Mini Boden, Mulberribush, Naartjie, Olive Juice, Puma, Roxy, Splendid Littles, Stella McCartney, Volcom, Wes & Willy, Xhiliration, Zutano, Zyno
- All Organic Baby Clothing (partial list) – Baby Soy, Egg, Green Babies, Kate Quinn, Oeuf, Under the Nile
- All Boutique and European brands (partial list) – Agatha Ruiz, Bonpoint, Cakewalk, Catimini, Cachcache, Chipie, Clayeux, Deux par Deux, Dpam, Flora e Henri, IKKS, Jacadi, Jean Bourget, Jottum, Kate Mack, Lili Gaufrette, Marimekko, Mim-Pi, Miniman, Neige, Petite Bateau, Tartine e Chocolat,
- Also Cherry Tree, Columbia, Corky & Co., North Face, Patagonia, REI, Spyder, Widgeon, and other quality outerwear
- Comfortable and great fitting – Soft cotton t-shirts, jackets, hoodies, sweaters, jeans, sweatpants, leggings, tights, cotton dresses, skirts, PJ’s. If your child enjoyed wearing it, we will probably take it.
- Everyday Playwear – Consignment as a rule sells far more t-shirts and leggings than dressy dresses, dress shirts and khakis. However, we will take those pricey items, but know that although we price fairly, we do reduce items that just aren’t moving. So, once again, if the item means a lot to you then please hold onto that item.
- Good Quality Footwear – Parents want a good fit and quality for their children’s shoes. Some popular shoe brands include:
Stride Rite, Merrell, See Kai Run, Pediped, Robeez, Livie & Luca, Converse, Toms, Vans, Crocs, Nike, New Balance, Teva, Keen, Kickers, Jumping Jacks, Uggs, Geox, Primigi, Naturino and all quality European footwear.
We will also take some Smart Fit and Circo and we are always looking for ballet/tap shoes and rain boots and raincoats. We do not take a lot of slippers, but we will take quality brands such as Acorn or LL Bean.
NOT-SO-TOP SELLERS FOR CHILDREN’S CLOTHING:
We have a lot less demand for these items.
- Infant sizes and bigger kids – Since babies don’t wear a lot of clothes initially there tends to be an abundance of Onesies and coveralls available. Therefore, WE ONLY TAKE VERY BEST 12 MONTHS AND UNDER CLOTHING IN THE VERY BEST CONDITION. If you have bags full of used Carter’s onesies and sleepers, we probably won’t be able to take very much. Same goes for the Gerber, Little Me, Little wonders and other less sought after infant brands.
- We also don’t have quite as much demand for sizes over 7/8 years so we are a bit more selective with those sizes.
- Outdated Styles – If you bought the clothing more than about two or three years ago it will be less appealing to our shoppers.
- Unpopular Brands – Here is a partial list of brands that our shoppers do not prefer. Most of the time we will pass on these brands. We do make exceptions (especially for boys) however so if you’d like, bring it in!
Faded Glory, Garanimals, George, Healthtex, Jumping Beans, Kid Connection
BABY GEAR TIPS
- The lighter the better. MacLaren, Combi or other lightweight strollers do well. Umbrella strollers are always in demand. Bulky “travel systems” or “full size strollers” DO NOT sell well. The heavier strollers like Graco, Eddie Bauer, Jeep, Evenflo or even heavier versions of European brands like Chicco or Inglesina are difficult to sell. In general, the bulkier the stroller, the cheaper we must price it. You may still bring in your bulky stroller for consignment as long as you understand we are going to price it to sell.
- Double strollers and jogging strollers usually sell well. Especially if they are not TOO heavy and bulky.
- “Boutique” brand strollers sell well AT THE RIGHT PRICE. We can sell your Bugaboo, Bumbleride, Quinny, Stokke, Orbit, Uppababy or B.O.B. stroller but we must be upfront with you about the pricing. In our experience, the average parents do not tend to want to pay a lot for a used stroller. Please check with us before bringing in your boutique stroller and we will be happy to discuss pricing options with you. The good part is that Ava’s Attic pays a higher share the more expensive the item is.
- Good sellers – exersaucers, baby swings, pack and plays, high chairs, Better brand carriers, frame-style backpack carriers, Arm’s Reach style co-sleepers, pressure mounted baby gates, potties.
- Not-so-good sellers – bouncer seats, activity mats, low end cameraless baby monitors, bottle/wipes warmers, child-proofing products, shopping cart covers. We have little demand for these items and we will only take a few of the newest / nicest ones.
The bottom line is check with us before you toss it. We might just be able to make it work ;).